Join us - the entirely impartial staff at The Hilt - as we go over what we consider to be the Top Five tourist attractions of our fair city in order.
5. Kicking us off is the York Minster, an architectural marvel nestled in the heart of our beautiful city. It stands as a towering testament to the enduring craftsmanship and spiritual devotion of centuries past. Its awe-inspiring Gothic spires, intricate stained glass windows, and labyrinthine stone passageways exude a sense of sacred grandeur that captivates visitors from around the globe. This sacred space, steeped in over a millennium of history, resonates with the echoes of countless prayers and the weight of momentous events. As one steps through its ancient doors, a profound sense of tranquillity washes over, inviting contemplation and reflection.
But let’s be honest, it’s just a big church, innit?
4. Next up we have the National Railway Museum. A breathtaking collection of locomotives and carriages that have shaped the course of transportation history. From the awe-inspiring Mallard, the fastest steam locomotive ever built, to the elegant Duchess of Hamilton, with occasional visits from the nation’s favourite, the Flying Scotsman, each exhibit is a living testament to the ingenuity and engineering prowess of bygone eras. With interactive displays, hands-on experiences, and a palpable sense of nostalgia, the National Railway Museum in York promises an unforgettable adventure for all who step aboard.
Sounds great, if you’re mad for trains I guess…
3. Taking third place is the Jorvik Centre, a time-travelling marvel, offering a captivating glimpse into the Viking Age. Situated on the very site where archaeologists unearthed the remains of an ancient Viking settlement, this immersive attraction takes visitors on a journey through reconstructed streets, providing a vivid window into the daily lives of these Norse adventurers. The scent of wood, leather, and earth, coupled with the sounds of distant conversations, crafts, and bustling life, transport you back over the centuries. The Jorvik Centre is a treasure trove for history enthusiasts, offering a unique opportunity to walk in the footsteps of those who once called York 'Jorvik'. It's a truly unmissable experience that brings the past to life in astonishing detail.
Or y’know… just read a book and avoid the smell…
2. Bringing to life the chilling tales and macabre events that have shaped the city's past, the York Dungeon comes in second. With a blend of live actors, special effects, and gripping storytelling, visitors are transported back in time to experience the harrowing stories of plague-ridden streets, traitorous plots, and the infamous Guy Fawkes. It's an interactive adventure that will have you on the edge of your seat, as you navigate through the shadowy corridors and come face-to-face with historical characters who reveal the horrors of days gone by. For those with a taste for the eerie and a fascination with the past, the York Dungeon promises an unforgettable, spine-tingling experience.
Small, dark, cramped corridors. Prime real estate for a mole!
1. And in first place, right at the top of the list, the NUMBER ONE tourist attraction in York...
It’s us. What did you expect? We’re class.
(This post was made with absolutely 0% research or data used.)